Welcome to our FAQ page, your go-to resource for answers to common questions about your studies at Solent University Pathway.

Whether you’re curious about pricing, amenities, or the application process, we’ve got you covered. Dive into our comprehensive FAQ section to find the information you need to make informed decisions about your academic journey.

What is the International Foundation Programme (IFP)? 

The International Foundation Programme is designed to help international students improve their academic and English language skills before beginning their undergraduate degree studies with Solent University. 

Who can study an International Foundation programme? 

The International Foundation Programme will benefit international students who need to:  

  • Improve their language skills 
  • Bridge educational gaps 
  • Develop their academic readiness before starting university studies in the UK  

Our International Foundation Programme may be the best solution if you want to study at a UK university but don’t meet the standard entry requirements. If you’re thinking of studying an undergraduate degree at Solent University and need to build on your existing qualifications to meet the entry requirements for an undergraduate degree, our IFP is for you. 

The IFP will help you develop the skills required to progress onto a range of undergraduate degrees at Solent University.  

The degree options available to you will depend on the International Foundation Programme Pathway you choose to study. There are three different pathways to choose from:  

Select from the options above to find out more about each course and view a list of undergraduate degrees you could progress on to for each one, or view the full list of progression degrees. 

How will I be taught and where will I study? 

Everything we do at Solent University is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. 

Throughout your studies at our Southampton campus, you’ll benefit from industry experts and cutting-edge facilities. You’ll be taught through a mixture of lectures, seminars, and workshops and we’ll encourage you to develop your subject knowledge and expand your skills through independent learning, increasing your confidence in the process.  

Learn more about our values, the Solent University campus, and what you can expect from us in our prospectus. 

Hear from two of our IFP Pathway students about their experience at Solent University and how the Pathway courses helped them prepare for their undergraduate studies.  

Meet Megan May Brooks and Sarah Pilon. 

What do I need to know about passing my International Foundation Programme and progressing on to an undergraduate degree? 

Following the successful completion of your International Foundation Programme, you will automatically progress on to the undergraduate degree you applied for at Solent University. 

If you don’t meet the requirements, you will need to contact your regional team who will do all they can to support you. Rest assured, we will assess progression on a case-by-case basis and both the academic and recruitment teams are here to help. 

What are the entry requirements for the foundation year? 

View the specific entry requirements for our IFP Pathway courses. 

If you need any advice or assistance with your application, please contact our Admissions Team at qahe.admissions@qa.com. 

Can I apply for both an IFP and an undergraduate degree? 

Our International Foundation Programmes are designed for international students to automatically transition onto the undergraduate degree of their choosing once they pass, so you don’t need to apply for an IFP and an undergraduate degree separately.  

You can bypass the International Foundation Programme altogether and apply directly for undergraduate studies if you meet your desired degree’s entry requirements, including holding the correct English language level qualification. In this case, there would be no requirement to complete an IFP to be eligible for undergraduate study. 

During your foundation studies, once you’ve learnt more about your progression options, you may want to study a different degree than you originally thought and wish to alter your choice after successfully completing your IFP. You can speak to your IFP tutors about this and your regional team contact, and they can help you make any changes. 

How do I apply for my course? 

Learn more about our application process, including information about application deadlines.  

When will I know if my application is successful? 

Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by our Admissions Team, who will confirm the next steps via email to the address provided on your application.  

Learn more about the application process and how to apply 

What happens if I get rejected? 

Our Admissions Team will email you to let you know that your application was unsuccessful and explain the reasons why.  

We highly recommend that you read and understand our entry requirements before applying to avoid any potential disappointment. If you have any questions about your application’s status, please contact our recruitment team, who can also advise you on any available appeal processes. 

What type of visa do I need to apply for to study in the UK? 

To study the International Foundation Programme, you will need a Student Route Visa 

Other types of visas won’t be considered eligible, including a Short-term Study Visa and Visitor’s Visa. 

If you are a dependent of an existing UK student, you can enrol onto the course on their dependant visa. 

How do I apply for a Student Route Visa? 

To apply for a Student Route Visa, you will need to secure your unconditional offer place at Solent University Pathway with a deposit payment towards your tuition fees and request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).  

Here is a brief overview of the process:

  1. Pay the initial deposit to secure your place at Solent University Pathway and receive your unconditional offer
  2. Request your CAS
  3. Attend and pass a Pre-CAS interview, which will be conducted between a compliance officer and yourself
  4. Submit your CAS documents, which will include your TB certificate and bank documents. (Please note that some countries are TB-exempt and will not need to show this.) Your TB certificate will need to be valid for a minimum of 2 months after your enrolment date. Your bank documents must show that you have enough funds to cover all remaining course fees and living expenses and show a 28-day maturity – i.e., the funds must have been in your account for a minimum of 28 consecutive days. It is important to note that if your bank documents indicate that the funds in your account have not matured, your Student Route Visa will be refused.  

Once your documents have been checked and verified, meeting all the necessary requirements, your CAS will be issued. 

For more information and guidance about obtaining a Student Route Visa, including eligibility and requirements, visit the UKCISA website. 

When will my Certificate of Acceptance of Studies be issued? 

Your Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) will only be issued upon successful completion of all the required checks. 

If, for any reason, there is a delay in the issuing or receipt of your CAS or Student Route Visa, you can request an extension from the university. Any extensions to deadlines will be at the sole discretion of Solent University, who will take all your circumstances into account when making their decision. 

If you are unable to enrol on time due to a delay in the receipt of your CAS or visa, you can choose to defer to the next intake or apply for a refund. 

How much does the International Foundation Programme cost to study in the UK? 

For the full cost of tuition fees for your chosen course please visit our course page and select the Pathway you wish to study.  

How do I pay my tuition fees and when are the payment deadlines? 

As an international student, you will need to pay a deposit towards your tuition fees to secure your place on the programme. Information about how to do this will be provided in your offer letter and you can visit our website for more information about how to pay for your course 

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. 

Do I have access to financial support, such as a scholarship or bursary?  

To help you with your studies, we offer scholarships and bursaries to self-funded international students who apply for our International Foundation Programme Pathway programmes and meet the award eligibility criteria.  

We’ve tried to make the process as easy as possible for you, and there is no need to make any separate applications for our bursaries or scholarships. If you are eligible and meet the requirements for financial support it will automatically be applied in the form of a fee waiver, and this will be outlined in your offer letter. 

Scholarships are typically awarded for academic or extracurricular achievements and bursaries are typically awarded to students from eligible countries who meet the bursary eligibility criteria. 

If you have any questions about our scholarship and bursary awards or would like to discuss your eligibility, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

On top of any available scholarship and bursaries, we also provide our students with access to a team of dedicated student funding advisers who can help you with any matters relating to student funding.  

You can also use our Student Budget Calculator to help you plan your budget better.  

I’m having trouble paying the tuition fees for my course. What can I do? 

Wherever we are able, we want to help make your time studying with us as positive and stress-free as possible. If you have any unforeseen financial difficulties and are struggling to pay your tuition fees, please do not hesitate to contact our Finance Team for support and advice as soon as possible: 

What support is available for international students? 

All students at Solent University Pathway have access to a variety of specialist support services 

We provide a range of services to our students, including our dedicated International Advice Team, who are there to support you and help you make the most out of your time at Solent University. 

The International Advice Team offer guidance, information, and advice to our international students on a range of issues, including immigration, visas, life in the UK, and careers and employment. They’re not just here for you during your studies either – they are available to help with any questions you may have before you arrive in the UK, too! 

Find out more about our specialist student support services. 

What societies and activities are available for students? 

There are lots of exciting opportunities for students to get involved with sports clubs, societies, and events at Solent University Pathway. Whatever you are interested in, there’s probably something at Solent for you to enjoy. And if there isn’t, you can start your own society! 

On campus, you’ll find: 

  • Our student-run cinema 
  • Top-of-the-range fitness facilities 
  • Plenty of choice for places to eat and drink 
  • Our brilliant Students’ Union, which organises regular social events, provides a range of societies to join and take part in, and a range of useful support services – all of which contributes to an inclusive, sociable, and well-balanced student experience 

Find out more about Solent University’s Students’ Union. 

How much does student accommodation cost? 

We provide a range of student accommodation that caters for different needs and requirements and, as such, prices differ depending on the type and size of room and the residence in which it is located.  

There are many benefits to living in student accommodation and we are always striving to improve the services we offer our students to give them the best possible experience whilst studying with us. As such, the services we offer are subject to change.  

Here are some examples of what could be included in your rent: 

  • Up to 100Mb WiFi 
  • Personal contents insurance 
  • Social rooms 
  • Repairs and maintenance 
  • Cleaning of communal areas 
  • All utility bills 

Find out more about our student accommodation and prices. 

How can I find accommodation? 

Self-catered accommodation 

We have over 1,200 single study-bedrooms within our five residences, which offer a mix of ensuite and non-ensuite university accommodation, and all our student residences are located near to each other, creating a strong community atmosphere.  

Many of the residences have a layout like that of a flat, each one with its own front door, as well as being self-catered with fully equipped kitchens.  

Find out more about your accommodation options, the application process, and what to expect. 

Private accommodation  

Want a bit more independence? Southampton offers many private sector housing options and Solent University, in partnership with the University of Southampton and Southampton City Council, has compiled a directory of private sector student accommodation in and around Southampton called SASSH (Southampton Accredited Scheme for Student Housing) 

Find out more about private sector accommodation. 

If you have any questions about student accommodation, how to apply, or for help finding the right accommodation for you, please use our accommodation service 

How do I apply and pay for accommodation? 

We’ve tried to make applying for student accommodation at Solent University Pathway as easy as possible, and any student on a full-time undergraduate, postgraduate, or exchange programme can apply online.  

Find out more about how to apply for student accommodation.