Considering applying to a university in the UK? Or wondering how to progress after high school? Solent University Pathway may be able to help.
Our International Foundation Programmes (IFPs) are designed to help you develop the knowledge and transferable skills needed for successful progression into higher education in the UK. We offer subjects in Business and Management, Creative Industries and STEM. These programmes allow you to develop your English language and subject knowledge before beginning your undergraduate degree.
How does an International Foundation Programme work?
An IFP is a year-long programme that provides international students with a route to their desired undergraduate degree. It is designed to bridge the gap between your existing qualifications and those required for higher education. At the same time, it helps to develop students’ English language skills so that they can thrive in UK academia regardless of their background.
The programme is made up of a series of modules, which are taught taught through lectures, seminars and workshops. The flexible course design means that you will gain extensive academic experience before you even start your undergraduate degree – ensuring that you are well-prepared.
The subject of your IFP will be influenced by your desired undergraduate degree. You will study the pathway that best supports your progression route, providing you with industry-relevant subject knowledge.
Upon successful completion of your IFP (at least a 40% pass mark in each module), you can progress on to your chosen undergraduate degree at Solent University. The list of progression degrees can be found here.
What are the benefits of an International Foundation Programme?
Our foundation programme prepares you for an undergraduate degree in a creative, dynamic, and supportive environment that mimics the UK university experience. You will also:
- Develop your English language skills, building your confidence in both academic and social settings
- Develop the academic skills and subject knowledge required to succeed in your target undergraduate degree
- Learn from our experienced academics, who specialise in supporting international students
- Study on campus with access to all of the university’s facilities, sporting opportunities, societies, events and more
- Boost your CV by earning an internationally recognised qualification
- Study alongside international students from all over the world – making friends and learning skills that will last a lifetime
Do I qualify for this programme?
To apply for an IFP, you need to meet the minimum entry requirements:
- General: 12 or 13 years of schooling depending on the education system in your country of origin
- Academic: country-specific academic entry requirements
- IELTS: a minimum 5.5 overall IELTs with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component from a UKVI Approved Centre
- Minimum age: 17 years old – you must turn 18 within the first six months of your undergraduate programme
Unsure if you meet these criteria? Reach out to our team to discuss your eligibility here.
If you wan to study at a UK university and are looking to prepare for your chosen subject area, our International Foundation Programmes may be for you.
To apply or any more information please look at our courses page. We’d love to hear from you!
Editor’s note: this blog post was revised and updated in March 2023.